Friday, January 7, 2022

My Top 30 Most Listened to Heavy Metal Albums in 2021


 MY TOP 30 MOST LISTENED TO ALBUMS OF 2021


The second part of my listening retrospective of 2021 takes a look back at the albums I listened to more frequently last year. It includes both new releases and albums dating back from as far as the 80s, and I will make a few brief comments about the top 10 albums from this list because they were certainly relevant to my listening habits and the types of metal I enjoyed most in the past year.




1. IRON MAIDEN- Senjutsu


The most anticipated album of 2021 has not failed to meet my expectations, as matter of fact I find it a lot more exciting to listen to than their previous two records. Some people find it excessively long and bloated, but I don’t agree at all with them. The more I listen to “Senjutsu”, the more fascinating I find it, and I discover new elements in those really long songs some people are complaining about, so it’s no wonder I played it on repeat and it occupied the top spot in my listening chart even if it was launched in September. Dark, brooding, often surprising, and full of great songs which have the potential to become Maiden classics- such as the title track, “Stratego”, “Hell on Earth” or “Death or the Celts”, to mention the ones which impressed me the most so far- that is ‘Senjutsu’, a truly great album for me.


2. HELLOWEEN- Helloween


The iconic band which put European power metal on the map is back in a big way with an aptly self-titled masterpiece that brings together members from all eras of the band and blends together the classical 80s Helloween sound with the modern one in a skillful manner, so it’s no surprise that I have also given this amazing release the attention it deserves by listening to it frequently. The sheer brilliance and complexity of ‘Skyfall’, a 12-minute classic that represents the highlight of this album and one of my favorite songs of 2021, combined with the greatness of other impressive tracks such as ‘Out for the Glory’ and ‘Fear of the Fallen’, and the enjoyment I experience when I listen to short tracks with memorable choruses that stick in my brain, such as ‘Best Time’ or ‘Mass Pollution’, all these reasons make me love this album and hope that Helloween will continue to make great music in this extended formula that works like magic.


3. THERION- Leviathan


The Swedish masters of symphonic metal have returned in 2021 with a release in which they abandoned the epic, bombastic, and complex sound that used to characterize their work in favor of a more stripped-down, straightforward, with short, punchy songs with memorable choirs, in other words, a collection of hits that I found highly enjoyable, and the fact that it was launched at the beginning of the year helped it reach a high position in my listening chart. The title track, ‘Tuonela’, ‘Eye of Algol’, ‘El Primer Sol’ are the highlights of ‘Leviathan’, but basically all the tracks offer me an enjoyable experience, it’s a perfect choice when I feel like listening to something really melodic and accessible.


4. SEPULTURA- Beneath the Remains


The first classical recorded which has landed in my chart is indicative of my appreciation of this legendary band’s career early career and for thrash metal in general. It seems to me that the truly great albums belonging to this aggressive, energetic, but also melodic genre never seem to get outdated. The feelings of anger, frustration, the refusal to conform blindly to the standards of a society that has so many flaws, the critical view of so many negative aspects that make our lives worse, all these elements are still as actual today as they were in 1989. Add to this great musicianship, tons of heavy riffs and hooks, powerful solos, and memorable chorus of tracks like ‘Inner Self’, ‘Stronger than Hate’, ‘Mass Hypnosis’ or ‘Slaves of Pain’ and you will understand why I felt like this record over and over again in 2021.

  5. TODD LA TORRE- Rejoice in the Suffering

The solo album from Queensryche's lead vocalist has been a revelation for me, so I gave it the attention it deserved, which allowed it to finish the year close to the top of my countdown. I dare say "Rejoice..." is better than the 3 albums Todd has made with Queensryche so far, it's definitely heavier and it's full of catchy songs, and its heaviness perfectly matches Todd's voice. It's hard for me to mention the highlights of this album because almost all the tracks are top-notch. It's a really solid piece of music!

6. PARADISE LOST- Obsidian

One of my favorite albums of 2020 was still often present on my schedule last year, probably because it is very fit for the dark times humanity is going through, but in a different manner than Sepultura. Sadness, fear, sometimes anger, but also moments of meditation on the misery of the human condition are feelings I associate with great tracks like 'Darker Thoughts", 'Fall from Grace" or 'Ravenghast.''

7 & 8. OVERKILL- Ironbound & The Wings of War

The New Jersey thrash veterans have made their way into the top 10 with two releases which I consider to the best ones of the latest part of their career.  The vitality, energy, and hunger for creating music they show at their age are mind-blowing, and I'm convinced they will keep it for a few more years and come with exciting material again. I will mention my top 3 songs from each album, but there are plenty of other excellent tracks I enjoy on both releases: "Ironbound", ''The Hand and Heart" and "In Vain'' from "Ironbound", and "Last Man Standing", ''Where Few Dare to Walk" and "Believe in the Fight" from "The Wings of War."

9. HALFORD- Resurrection

A surprising presence in my top 10, which marked a remarkable comeback from a true metal icon who returned to the roots of metal after unsuccessfully experiencing other types of music. The title track, "Silent Screams'', "Cyberworld" or ''Made in Hell" are among the remarkable tracks which indicated that after going through some tough times, true heavy metal was alive and well in the year 2000!

10. SEPULTURA- Arise

What I wrote earlier about "Beneath the Remains"' is also relevant for "Arise", another thrash tour de force. The stellar triple which opens the record- "Arise", ''Dead Embryonic Cells" and "Desperate Cry"- is so impressive that it's hard for me to think of a greater start of a metal album. "Arise'' is in its whole a timeless classic that will help Sepultura maintain its place in the pantheon of metal legends, regardless of the lower quality of the material which followed after Max Cavalera's departure.

This is the rest of my top 30 most listened albums in 2021:

11. KK'S PRIEST- Sermons of the Sinner

12. SEPULTURA- Schizophrenia

13. OVERKILL- Horrorscope

14. ACCEPT- Too Mean to Die

15. ICED EARTH- Horror Show

16. BRUCE DICKINSON- Tyranny of Souls

17. CHILDREN OF BODOM- Follow the Reaper

18. HELLOWEEN- The Dark Ride

19. IRON MAIDEN- The X Factor

20. ORDEN OGAN- Final Days

21. OZZY OSBOURNE- Diary of a Madman

22. SACRED REICH- The American Way

23. EXUMER- Hostile Defiance

24. METAL CHURCH- The Human Factor

25. SAVATAGE- Streets- A Rock Opera

26. JUDAS PRIEST- Point of Entry

27. SAVATAGE- Dead Winter Dead

28. EPICA- Omega

29. EXUMER- The Raging Tides

30. LEAVES'EYES- The Last Viking




No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 30 Most Listened to Heavy Metal Albums in 2021

 MY TOP 30 MOST LISTENED TO ALBUMS OF 2021 The second part of my listening retrospective of 2021 takes a look back at the albums I lis...