Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Mountain Roads- Often Scary, Always Fascinating

 


Last year, as part of a summer trip to some of the natural and cultural landmarks of Romania, I had the chance, among other great exploits, to travel on some truly unforgettable mountain roads, such as the one from Curtea de Arges to Vidraru Dam, a journey full of extraordinary sights and discoveries which left me with great memories that will be never be deleted from my mind.



As the trip was made at a relaxed pace, there were several stops along the way until we reached the dam, so there were plenty of opportunities to take pictures. However, the almost indescribable beauty of the mountain landscape was also scary. As the road was going higher and higher it was more difficult to look down at the canyons under it., and going close to the edge of the road was obviously dangerous, as the view of the deep ravines below was a warning to everyone to be extremely cautious. Definitely, it wasn’t a trip recommended for those who suffer from vertigo.




This combination of feelings and mental states which ranged from wonder at the incredible natural beauty of the mountain to fear of the frightening ravines below is a truly remarkable experience. It can also be your last adventure too, if you feel too cocky and ignore the danger by going too close to the margin on the road. That’s why I preferred to keep a little distance from the guard rails, and even so I can’t deny that I was feeling a little anxious, and now when I look back at the photos made on that occasion, I almost relive those stunning moments. Mountain roads are truly splendid, but they can also, be highly dangerous, so we must always be very cautious when we are there.


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 30 Most Listened to Heavy Metal Albums in 2021

 MY TOP 30 MOST LISTENED TO ALBUMS OF 2021 The second part of my listening retrospective of 2021 takes a look back at the albums I lis...