Monday, August 17, 2020

The Sphinx in the Bucegi Mountains- a Natural Wonder of Romania

 

Sometimes I feel the need to detach myself from the immediate reality and let my mind wander throughout centuries. One way in which I try to connect to the past is to look again at pictures of spectacular sites I visited and relive the feelings I experienced when I saw amazing things like wonders of nature or historical buildings or monuments.

For instance, today, after watching a documentary about the Roman conquest of Dacia, my mind flew immediately to an amazing natural rock formation which is one of the symbols of my country: the Sphinx from the Bucegi Mountains.


Two years ago, when I made a journey high in the Bucegi Plateau, this 8-meter high and 12-meter rock impressed me because it resembled perfectly the head of a Dacian warrior. It was hard for me to believe that it was the work of nature and not of the human hand, but that’s the reality. Now, when I look again at the pictures I made with this quiet giant called the Sphinx, I almost expect him to wake up and gather people around him to defend the country from its invaders.


Shaped by the action of nature throughout thousands of years, the Sphinx stands still and proud like a true king of the Carpathians. For some people, it’s just a rock and nothing else, while for others it has a symbolic and mythological value. As for me, I have to say that I consider it a perfect illustration of nature’s capacity to create unique and wonderful things that will last as long as the Earth itself.


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Top 30 Most Listened to Heavy Metal Albums in 2021

 MY TOP 30 MOST LISTENED TO ALBUMS OF 2021 The second part of my listening retrospective of 2021 takes a look back at the albums I lis...